Franklin County Public Defender Office
Position: Social Worker
Starting Salary: $56,000 Subject to applicants experience and Directors Discretion
Deadline: November 3, 2023
Instructions: Applicants interested in the above position, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 614-461-6470.
Coordinating with case attorneys, develops information relative to clients' problems, environment, behavior patterns, etc. and proposes positive alternatives to incarceration or other penalties.
- Accumulates and reviews available facts about the case and the client from case attorney and court personnel. (Involvement in a case is generally initiated by a request from case attorney or the judge.)
- Interviews clients to observe and discover additional facts, attitudes, reactions,
- Makes field investigations, including discussions with client family members, friends, neighbors, etc.
- Communicates with witnesses and
- Makes recommendations relative to sentencing alternative, clients' efforts to correct problems, etc. Prepares pre-sentence reports.
- Maintains a knowledge of social agencies and their services and a line of communications with such agencies.
- In cases that result in incarceration, when appropriate, pursues early release options, advises client, etc.
- Performs other similar and related duties or duties as may be designated by the Unit Chief or Attorneys.
Four (4) year degree in an accredited college or university in social work or closely related curricula.
Must have a current license for social work in the State of Ohio.
One (1) year of experience in the field of social work, preferably associated with the judicial system, counseling and knowledge of local social agencies and services.
NOTE: Social Worker II requires three (3) to four (4) years additional experience, including exemplary experience as Social Worker I.
- Ability to effectively communicate with clients and others, both inside and outside the Public Defender organization.
Must have a car, good driving record, valid driver’s license, and automobile insurance.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information relative to clients and other associates.