Assistant Public Defender (Felony Division) UPDATED
Ashtabula County Public Defender's Office
DEPARTMENT: Ashtabula County Public Defender
POSITION TITLE: Assistant Public Defender (Felony Division)
HOURS: 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
ANNUAL SALARY: Starting salary 70,000.00 subject to experience, PERS, Full Benefit Package
The Ashtabula County Public Defender’s Office is now accepting applications for the position of full-time Assistant Public Defender. The office consists of seven (7) individuals, including attorneys and secretaries. We manage all aspects of indigent criminal defense- from juvenile delinquency to murder. Our office is committed to seeking and sustaining a culturally diverse staff with expertise and interest in serving our indigent clientele who come to us with diverse needs, backgrounds, ethnicities, and abilities.
Seeking an experienced individual to represent indigent clients in legal proceedings in felony courts. An ideal candidate should be dedicated to indigent defense, have exemplary organization skills, and can work independently.
Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school. Ongoing compliance with CLE requirements. Candidate must be admitted, and in good standing to practice law in the State of Ohio. Prior trial experience preferred, but not required.
- Meet with clients to gather evidence and prepare for trial
- Research, prepare and file pre-trial motions and/or all other necessary pleadings
- Thorough knowledge of federal, state, and local laws including, but not limited to criminal law
- Ability to adapt to a variety of social circumstances, speak and write effectively
- Ability to interact and effectively communicate with office personnel, court personnel, prosecutors, law enforcement, probation officers and the public
- Confer with colleagues to establish/verify basis for legal proceedings
- Participate in trainings, offer advice, co-counsel cases and cover cases when needed
- Perform all other duties as assigned by the public defender including beyond normal work hours
- Travel required to the various misdemeanor courts in Ashtabula County
SEND RESUMES BY April 7, 2023 TO:
Ashtabula County Public Defender’s Office
Margaret Brunarski, Public Defender
22 East Jefferson Street
Jefferson, Ohio 44047