Assistant Public Defender
Ashtabula County Public Defender
DEPARTMENT: Ashtabula County Public Defender
POSITION TITLE: Assistant Public Defender
HOURS: 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
ANNUAL SALARY: Commensurate with experience
The Ashtabula County Public Defender’s Office is now accepting applications for the position of full-time Assistant Public Defender. The office consists of seven (7) individuals, including attorneys and secretaries. We manage all aspects of indigent criminal defense- from juvenile delinquency to murder. Our office is committed to seeking and sustaining a culturally diverse staff with expertise and interest in serving our indigent clientele who come to us with diverse needs, backgrounds, ethnicities, and abilities.
Seeking an experienced individual to represent indigent clients in legal proceedings in felony courts at all stages of the proceedings. Ideal candidate should be dedicated to indigent defense, have exemplar organization skills, and can work independently.
Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school. Ongoing compliance with CLE requirements. Candidate must be admitted, and in good standing to practice law in the State of Ohio. Jury trial experience strongly preferred, but not required.
- Meet with clients to gather evidence and prepare for trial
- Research, prepare and file pre-trial motions and/or all other necessary pleadings
- Thorough knowledge of federal, state, and local laws including, but not limited to criminal law
- Ability to adapt to a variety of social circumstances, speak and write effectively
- Prior jury trial experience is preferred, but not required
- Ability to interact and effectively communicate with office personnel, court personnel, prosecutors, law enforcement, probation officers and the public
- Confer with colleagues to establish/verify basis for legal proceedings
- Participate in trainings, offer advice, co-counsel cases and cover cases when needed
- Perform all other duties as assigned by the public defender including beyond normal work hours.
SEND RESUMES BY MARCH 1, 2022, TO:
Ashtabula County Public Defender’s Office
Margaret Brunarski, Public Defender
22 East Jefferson Street
Jefferson, Ohio 44047
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE ● EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ●
NON-DISCRIMINATION AGAINST THE HANDICAPPED ● DRUG FREE WORKPLACE